First off, you’ll want to avoid alcohol which contains grains, like beer. Secondly, a lot of alcoholic drinks have enough carbs and sugar to kick you out of ketosis, think beer and wine. We’re being pretty Puritan about this, and the truth of the matter is that one of two beers probably won’t screw you up completely, but it’s better to avoid them if you can.
Below we’ll break down guidelines on what to do before you drink, how to drink responsibly, and which alcohol to choose:
- Always hydrate before drinking. A little bit of Himalayan pink salt and lemon in your water will help provide extra electrolytes before the alcohol dehydrates you.
- Eat something (something #fatty). How about a nice steak dinner with avocado, asparagus (comes with a natural defence against the bad effects of alcohol), and a big bed of greens. This will help provide your body with nutrients to function at peak performance when processing the alcohol in your system.
- Take Milk Thistle before and after you drink. Milk Thistle helps the liver function at a high level – and can even help grow the liver back in those who have really damaged this vital organ (amazing!).
- Consume an 8 ounce (at least) glass of water for every drink you have. This will help keep you stay hydrated while drinking, and stave off that nasty hangover the next day 😊
- Do your best not to exceed 4 alcoholic drinks. After this point is when it really starts wreaking havoc on your system.
All that said, when it finally comes time to make a decision, here are your options:
- Beer ~10 to 30 grams of carbs per glass – sorry, not a good option!
- Wine ~2.5 to 5 grams of carbs per glass – better than beer, but still not great
- Hard Liquor - NO carbs, baby! Whiskey, vodka, tequila, scotch, gin 🡪 yes, yes, yes, yes! Stay away from sweetened liquors and mixing with something sugary, opt for things like club soda or seltzer if you want a mixer. Lemon & lime slices and even apple cider vinegar can be good options depending on the drink!
Overall, clear hard liquor is probably your best bet if you want to imbibe.
Drink responsibly, my friends!